It was absolutely fantastic to see the Chilean mine workers being rescued this past week. Thirty-three of them had spent a total of 70 days trapped inside the Chilean coal mine 2,000 feet below the surface. Many people were asking how they all survived in those conditions for so long. One thing that quickly became evident during this past week’s rescue was how much faith, hope, and love played a role in their survival. These men were physically rescued by an army of individuals working 24 hours a day. Spiritually, they were rescued by One.
The CNN Belief blog, a blog reporting on faith roles happening in today’s news, has posted a great article about the absolute faith these miner’s shared. The trapped Chilean coal miners would hold two prayer services a day. They also had access to audio versions of the JESUS film and The New Testament. The T-shirts the rescued Chilean coal miner’s came out wearing featured emblems for The Jesus Film Project, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ International. The shirts featured a front logo stating “Gracias Senor” or “Thank-You, Lord” and on the back was printed Psalms 95:4. The shirts were a gift from Campus Crusade for Christ, Chile.
Over a billion people watched the unfolding rescue on worldwide television and internet. Over one billion people witnessed a God-centered Faith as it was meant to be seen and heard. Miner’s fell to their knees and prayed upon rescue. Viewers cried and said “Thank-you, Jesus!” for saving these miners! Little did we know that God would use these 33 to reach an audience of billions to showcase God’s Grace, Mercy, and Love for mankind. “Gracias, Senor!”
- Last Chilean Miner Rescued [Video] (gawker.com)
- UN congratulates Chilean president for miners’ rescue (topinews.com)
- Rescue of chilean miners provides lesson in human resilience, psychologist says (physorg.com)
- You: All trapped Chilean miners rescued: media (nation.com.pk)
- “Rescue of Chilean Miners a ‘Rare Blessing'” and related posts (aflcio.org)
- Chilean Miner Rescue has Inspired “Coal” Reality Series (sugarslam.com)
- All 33 Chilean Miners Freed! (bostonist.com)